Subiaco Lacrosse Club
The history of the Subiaco Lacrosse Club can be traced back to lacrosse players from the Eastern States – Fred Parsons (Adelaide) and Fred Wingrove(Melbourne) – who met in Perth in 1896 with the idea of forming a lacrosse association. In the first two years only social games where conducted and in 1898 four teams- Fremantle, Perth, Cottesloe and Mercantile – took to the field. The Fremantle team grew rapidly and expanded with players forming an East Fremantle club in the early 1900s. WW1 disrupted the growth of lacrosse and it re-established itself during the 1920s and again the Fremantle players moved on to form other clubs including the Nedlands Lacrosse Club. A paper written by Reg Elliott ( he joined Fremantle Lacrosse Club in 1900 as a player and later Secretary, President and Life Member) records Hartley Angus as a former Fremantle player who reformed the East Fremantle club in 1927 and again Hartley Angus, with others, then went on to establish the Nedlands Lacrosse Club in 1930.
The first time Subiaco Lacrosse appears in WALA files is a Team Photograph of the Subiaco Swans Lacrosse Club dated1928 and it features J L Carden in the back row. Also Subiaco Swans “B” Grade is featured in a newspaper story in 1928 telling how Maylands Lacrosse created a surprise in defeating Subiaco who where the leading team at the time. The press article is dated 23 Aug 1928.
This proved to be a false start, because interestingly, in 1929 a press article features the Swans team as playing “B” grade without any reference to Subiaco.
WALA Annual Reports in 1930 record 8 teams playing “A” grade with Nedlands Lacrosse Club finishing 2nd last on 2 points. This being the first time a team called Nedlands is reported as playing lacrosse.
The year 1930 is also recorded as the founding year for Nedlands-Subiaco Club in the official programme produced by the WALA in 1959 under the heading of Club Histories.
The notes being as follows:
Nedlands – Subiaco Club
Colours – Maroon and Gold
The Nedlands Club was formed in 1930 and had a successful era until the war years. Through a large enlistment in the services, causing the membership to drop they amalgamated with the younger Subiaco Club which was formed by the Mr J L Carden in 1940.
Although the Subiaco Club had also been drained of their senior players in the services they managed to carry on and build up from their juniors until they realised their ambition of entering the “A” Grade as Nedlands- Subiaco in 1947.
Since that date the membership has grown at one stage they had 60 playing members. This Club has only missed the final four on one occasion in this period. The outstanding personalities on the field have been A Swan, V Ashworth, J Cowling, H Angus, C Buchan to mention but a few.
Off the field J Carden, T Furze, P Appleby, C Smith and P Byers.
The present Secretary is P R Stratton and he has held this office since 1952.
The President Mr C Smith has held office since 1949 and registered membership is currently 47 members.
The 1959 programme also records Wembley Lacrosse Club as being founded in 1938 by Mr H G Clifton and Mr J L Carden and being an offshoot of the Swans Lacrosse Club. The programme also features J L Carden as President of the Australian Lacrosse Council.
The WALA Fixture book for season 1938 records the Nedlands Lacrosse Club fielding a Senior and a “B” Grade team with home ground being Nedlands Oval. Later renamed Melvista Oval.
The fixture book records all the WALA Clubs, Colours, Hon. Secretary and each player and playing number.
It tells us.
The Nedlands Club
Founded 1930: Colours Brown & Royal Blue.
Hon. Secretary: N Buchan, 42 Williams Road Hollywood.
Player number 32 was Arthur Swan and a G A Turnbull was listed as player No. 11.
Arthur Swan was later to become a Life Member of Nedlands- Subiaco Lacrosse Club and the Turnbull surname was to appear again in the clubs history.
The book also has the North Perth – Wembley Club as being reformed in 1934 with playing colours as Green and Gold. Player No. 1 is V Ashworth.
Vic Ashworth later played for Nedlands- Subiaco and also serves as Club President.
During the 1930s WALA Annual Reports feature the Nedlands Club as winners of various lacrosse events.
At the 1934 Kelmscott Day held at the Kelmscott Sports Ground on the 4th June Nedlands won the six a side games for District and Junior “B” teams.
Trophy won by Nedlands Club that day was the– Clark Cup and Fearon Cup.
District Grade Junior ‘B” F&B won by a D Lightfoot and F&B Goal Keeper for Junior “ B” grade won by a C Houghton of Nedlands Lacrosse Club.
In 1935 Nedlands won the “C” grade grand final against North Perth- Wembley and again in the same year Nedlands won the Gala Day held at Subiaco Oval in “A” Grade and “ C” Grade.
Nedlands received the WALA Clark and Fearon Cups at a dance held on the 21st September 1935 and an H B Angus was awarded F& B Goal Keepers award.
In the same year Nedlands finished forth on the premiership table for Seniors 1 in a year when seniors were split into two sections. The “C” grade winners also being Nedlands.
In 1936 the WALA consisted of a Senior Grade, “B” Grade and “C” Grade.
Nedlands finished 4th out of seven teams in seniors and 4th in “B” Grade.
Mr H B Angus retired as WALA Secretary in the same year.
In 1937 Nedlands fielded a Senior team and a “B” Grade.
A press article in 1939 shows a photograph of Arthur Swan (Nedlands) and other State Team members arriving Brisbane after travelling by train from Perth. The team Manager was J L Carden.
WALA “A” Grade Fairest and Best awards record Nedlands player Vic Ashworth as the winner in 1939. Nedlands finished 2nd in A Grade 2nd last in “B” Grade in this year.
WALA Annual report in 1940 records Subiaco Toc H as winners of the Carmody Cup for being “D” Grade Minor Premiers. The F&B for “D” Grade being Geoffrey Smith of Subiaco TocH.
The report concluded with a summary of WALA teams for years 1939 and 1940.
At that time WALA had 11 Clubs in each year.
In 1939 Perth Boys School 24 players and 2 teams.
In 1940 Perth Boys had nil and TocH – Kitchener 29 players and 2 teams.
Subiaco was not mentioned in the teams named. It has been established that Subiaco Toc H and TocH Kitchener where teams formed out of a boys club which met in a hall in Hay Street Subiaco. Mr J Carden, a keen lacrosse player, was the Manager of W M Smith & Co.(retail furniture store adjoining the hall) and his desire to establish lacrosse in the Subiaco area caused him to organise the boys into lacrosse teams. Jack Cowling was one of those boys and he went on to become a player, administrator and Life Member.
The Perth Boys team disbursed in 1940 and players joined TocH- Kitchener Boys team and the Bayswater Midland Club.
In the 1941 WALA report the WW11 impact is evident. No Nedlands “A” Grade team and Nedlands “B” finish on top. The report makes special mention of Mr J L Carden for his untiring efforts in “fathering” the Subiaco Police Boys and St Andrews ( a local school) teams.
The Annual Report made mention of J Cowling of Subiaco Police Boys attending 7 Committee Meetings during the year. Nedlands won the Clark Cup for being Premiers and Minor Premiers in “B” Grade. Because of the War the WALA awarded only two F&B (C&D Grade) Geoffrey Smith of Subiaco Police Boys was the C Grade winner.
In 1942 WALA did not have men teams and was only able to conduct U/18 games between Wembley, Fremantle, Midland Junction and 2 Subiaco Police Boys teams. The Fremantle team dropped out after a couple of weeks and the players left joined Subiaco Boys teams.
After the War a 1946 press report shows 9 Teams playing “A” Grade with Nedlands 3rd from the bottom and another 8 teams playing “B” grade with Subiaco on top of the table after 4 games.
The 1947 WALA Annual Report records 9 teams in “A” Grade with the only change from 1946 being the Nedlands team became the Nedlands-Subiaco team.
The 1948 WALA report also provided a table of :
“Comparison of Club Strength and Teams”
In 1946 Nedlands had 13 players and 1 team.
Subiaco had 19 players and 1 team.
In 1947 Nedlands-Subiaco had 51 players and 3 teams.
In 1948 Nedlands-Subiaco had 57 players and 4 teams.
The merger of Nedlands and Subiaco Lacrosse Clubs occurred in 1947.
Some 40 odd years later Nedlands-Subiaco became Subiaco.
It follows the significant years for the Club are:
1930 the year of Nedlands Lacrosse Club formation.
1939 the year J L Carden formed the TocH-Kitchener/Subiaco Police Boys/St Andrews boys teams .
1940 the year WALA acknowledged TocH-Kitchener as a team (29 players and 2 teams).
1941 the WALA first recorded teams as Subiaco. The teams being the Subiaco Police Boys (replacing the Toch – Kitchener)
1946 press reports making mention of the Subiaco Lacrosse Club
1947 the year Nedlands Lacrosse Club and Subiaco Lacrosse Club merged and played “A” Grade for the first time.
Additional Information discovered.
WALA Souvenir Programme of the Victorian Lacrosse Team Visit to WA in July 1935.
The programme records Pars on Western Australian State Team members playing for the Nedlands Lacrosse Club as ;
Angus, H.B. Captain Coach. Goalkeeper. Commenced game with Fremantle Club in 1920. represented State in 1925 as 2nd Home. Joined up with East Fremantle 1927, and captained that side for many years. Was the State captained and Goalkeeper of the 1932 Carnival side which finished second to Victoria at All-States Carnival Melbourne?
Buchan, K.C. 1st Home. First played the game with East Fremantle in 1926. Joined up with Nedlands in 1930. Selected as 1st Home in 1932 Carnival side and secured 18 goals for the series. Holds Australian record with Roy Read of Victoria for the most goals thrown by an individual player in a Carnival match i.e. 13.
Harrison,D.S. Vice-Captain. Third home. Began playing at the age of 11 under the tuition of Jack Beattie, of the Malvern Club, Victoria. Transferred to this state in 1930 he joined up with his present club the next season and has been captain ever since. Was Vice-captain of the 1932 Carnival Team.
Johnson,E.F. 2nd home. First commenced with Nedlands in 1930. First interstate appearance.
WALA Fixture book for 1950 season records the Nedlands – Subiaco Lacrosse Club as formed in 1930 with club colours Maroon & Gold.
The Hon.Sec. was J . Cowling of 228 Hamersley Road Subiaco.
Club Grounds: Melvista Park and Market Reserve.
More to be discovered 1950 to 2010